Sioux Valley Energy provides an essential service to its membership. Electricity is a necessity for our daily lives at work and at home. This is why the Cooperative has initiated plans to reduce the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19) to its employees and members. In light of South Dakota Governor Kristi Noem’s decision to close all K-12 public schools, Sioux Valley Energy will close its three office locations in Colman, Brandon and Pipestone to public access beginning Monday, March 16th until further notice. The Cooperative community rooms will also be closed during this time.
Minnesota Governor, Tim Walz, has also issued a “Stay at Home” order for the State of Minnesota which will extend from Friday, March 27th to Friday, April 10th. Sioux Valley Energy serves members in both Minnesota and South Dakota and so this order does impact the work we do on a daily basis. As an essential service, we plan to continue to respond to outages and answer your phone calls. We are able to do this because of amazing employees who are working from home. However, we will be delaying our regular line maintenance and construction in both Minnesota and South Dakota until the Minnesota “Stay at Home” order is lifted. We will reassess at that time and follow the guidance of local and state officials. Rest assured, if there is an outage—we will be there to restore it. If you have a question on your bill—we will be there to answer it. Sioux Valley Energy will continue to monitor the COVID-19 situation and will respond in a way that will care for both our members and our employees.Please monitor the Cooperative website and Facebook page for updates.
Members have a variety of options for payment and are encouraged to utilize ‘SmartHub’. ‘SmartHub’ allows Sioux Valley Energy members to view and pay their bill, receive important notifications and monitor electric usage online. Sign up for SmartHub here.
We understand that there may be circumstances now and in the future that will impact the financial situation of SVE members due to COVID-19. To help members work through this time, effective immediately, the Cooperative will suspend all electric disconnects for non-payment of residential members until further notice. We do ask that if you are having trouble paying your electric bill that you contact us at 800-234-1960 to work out a payment plan.
As an essential service provider, Sioux Valley Energy plans to also take the following steps to help reduce the spread of Coronavirus.
- Cancellation/Postponement of all remaining District Meetings: We believe that it is best to avoid bringing together large groups of people in tight quarters (some of whom may be at higher risk for complications). District meetings, where elections were to be held, will be moved to coincide with the Annual Meeting which will take place on Tuesday, June 2nd at the Tri-Valley School. Details on the annual meeting will be sent out prior to the event. Election meetings must be held per the bylaws. Non-election meetings will be cancelled. Members will still be eligible for a $25 bill credit if they attend the Annual Meeting in June (unless they already received one at the two District Meetings that were held in Luverne, MN and White, SD).
- Implementation of more frequent cleaning and sanitizing schedule throughout all Sioux Valley Energy facilities.
- Coordination of interdependent utilities, contractors and suppliers to evaluate how operations could be impacted by potential disruptions and make plans to reduce the chance of those disruptions.
- Limitation of non-essential travel and minimization of unnecessary large group interaction.
- Preparing office employees to work remotely from home when possible. Lineworkers will be available for any potential outages.
- Members who are financially impacted by extenuating circumstances related to Coronavirus will be encouraged to contact SVE to set up a special payment plan.
As an essential service provider, it is our responsibility to be prepared and these steps are simply precautionary. Members can call 800-234-1960 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for service-related questions, if you need a water heater or to report an outage.
More from My Cooperative
Sioux Valley Energy provides an essential service to its membership. Electricity is a necessity for our daily lives at work and at home. This is why the Cooperative has initiated plans to reduce the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19) to its employees and members. The following steps are being taken to help mitigate as much unnecessary risk as possible:Learn More