Sioux Valley Energy's Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation are guidelines for governance of the Cooperative. Sioux Valley Energy is bound by the Cooperative's Bylaws which are essentially a set of rules defining how the organization will run. The membership has the power to change the bylaws. Each year Sioux Valley Energy sends a copy of the Bylaws to members via the Cooperative Connections magazine. If you would like a hard copy mailed to you, please contact us at 1-800-234-1960.
The Bylaws were amended most recently in November of 2020. Those amendments addressed several cursory changes along with the following issues:
- Allow SVE to postpone director elections during times of emergency or public health risk until it is safe to meet in person.
- Ensure that each district has representation if a director election is not able to be held in case of emergency or public health risk.
- Provide future flexibility for the Cooperative to conduct director elections via mail in accordance with state law.
- Allow greater use of electronic means of communication, notices, signatures, voting and nominating petitions.
- Allow a member’s spousal signature to be considered valid for nominating petitions.
- Expressly confirm that remote or electronic meetings of the membership may be held.
- Adjust the required quorum for a special or annual meeting in compliance with state law.
The most recent version of the bylaws, can be found below:
More from My Cooperative
Sioux Valley Energy provides an essential service to its membership. Electricity is a necessity for our daily lives at work and at home. This is why the Cooperative has initiated plans to reduce the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19) to its employees and members. The following steps are being taken to help mitigate as much unnecessary risk as possible:Learn More