Sioux Valley Energy Board Recommends Bylaw Amendments
The Sioux Valley Energy (SVE) Board of Directors, in close consultation with the Cooperative’s legal counsel, recently approved proposed bylaw amendments for consideration by the membership and has called for a “Special Meeting” to consider the proposals. There are several recommended changes which address issues that have come to light during the challenging times of the COVID-19 pandemic. The proposed bylaw amendments would address several cursory changes along with the following issues:
- Allow SVE to postpone director elections during times of emergency or public health risk until it is safe to meet in person.
- Ensure that each district has representation if a director election is not able to be held in case of emergency or public health risk.
- Provide future flexibility for the Cooperative to conduct director elections via mail in accordance with state law.
- Allow greater use of electronic means of communication, notices, signatures, voting and nominating petitions.
- Allow a member’s spousal signature to be considered valid for nominating petitions.
- Expressly confirm that remote or electronic meetings of the membership may be held.
- Adjust the required quorum for a special or annual meeting in compliance with state law.
The specific proposed amendments are posted below. The full version of the current bylaws can also be found below or by requesting a printed version at 800-234-1960. The Board will be proposing these amendments to the membership at a “Special Meeting” which will be called to order on Thursday, November 12, 2020, at 7 p.m. via Zoom/Teleconference. In order to move the amendments forward to a ballot vote, a motion must be made and seconded by SVE members at the “Special Meeting”. If the membership so chooses to consider the proposed amendments, they will be able to do so through a ballot.
There are two ways members can vote after the initial November 12, 2020 “Special Meeting”:
- Members can hand deliver their completed ballot to one of the Cooperative’s service centers in Brandon, Pipestone or Colman. Hand delivered ballots must be placed into the locked box located in the entry-way of each service center by 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, November 25, 2020 when the Special Meeting is recessed. Hand delivered ballots received after this time and date will not be counted.
- Members can also mail their completed ballot. A business reply mail envelope is provided and must be mailed through the United States Postal Service. Mailed ballots are required to be postmarked by 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, November 25, 2020 when the special meeting is recessed. Ballots received after this time and date will not be counted.
Notification will be sent to each member with the following materials included in the mailing:
- Letter with meeting information and proposed amendments
- Board resolution
- Official Ballot
- Business Reply Envelope (postage paid)
More from My Cooperative
Sioux Valley Energy provides an essential service to its membership. Electricity is a necessity for our daily lives at work and at home. This is why the Cooperative has initiated plans to reduce the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19) to its employees and members. The following steps are being taken to help mitigate as much unnecessary risk as possible:Learn More