Sioux Valley Energy offers $14,000 worth of scholarships every year to eligible graduating high school seniors or first-time attendees at an institution of higher education.
Applications are judged on the basis of grades, ACT or SAT test scores, work experience, school activities, volunteer community service and an essay question. The scholarship committee that determines recipients includes two Operation Round Up Board Members, an SVE Board Member, two SVE employees and a school counselor or administrative staff member.
The majority of the scholarship funding comes from Operation Round Up funds, with additional monies from Basin Electric Power Cooperative and L&O Power Cooperative.
To be eligible you must:
- Be a graduating high school senior or first-time attendee at an institution of higher education
- Plan to be a full-time student in an accredited college or vocational technical school this fall
- Be a son or daughter of a Sioux Valley Energy customer
- Have a 3.0 or higher cumulative GPA
- Provide a written recommendation from a teacher, administrator or counselor
- One winner per family/per year
Scholar of the Week
Sioux Valley Energy, along with all other East River member systems, participates in the Touchstone Energy Scholar of the Week program in coordination with KSFY television. Sioux Valley Energy presents a $100 award to students within its service territory who have been chosen as a scholar of the week. Academic, school and community achievements of each student are also recognized on the KSFY news. In the spring, an end of the year banquet is held where each chosen scholar who attends receives a chance to win a $1,000 college scholarship.